Saturday, September 27, 2014

Layering embellishments and paper

October is incredibly right around the corner, so I thought I'd share my pages for Simple Scrapper that will be in their Spark magazine and give some ideas of how I go about layering embellishments:


This first page I did using the September kit from Scrapbook Circle and a story starter and sketch from Simple Scrapper. The idea of the page was serendipitous: I'm getting ready to print pictures to (finally!) scrap our family vacation to Disneyworld. My son loved Thunder Mountain Railroad so much, he had asked to have his picture taken with it in the background. (Scrapbookers' kids ask things like that, I think.) The photo reminded me of one of me taken when I was a kid for the very same reason. And so I put them together on the page.

Putting two 4x6 photos on a page can be kind of boring, so I layered a LOT to make it more interesting. Here's some details:


When I layer, I start with something flat--in this case, tags and die cuts and sayings cut from patterned paper--and overlap them. I then add something dimensional--a sticker on dimensional adhesive and some epoxy and puffy stickers--and do something with texture--in this case, I stitched the label sticker down and added the gold glitter dots.


I've started using 6x6 pads more; they are the perfect way to layer bits of patterned paper without cutting apart a whole piece of paper. Here I trimmed some tag paper out of the pad and stitched it down.

The next page also uses a sketch from Simple Scrapper and this time a kit from Studio Calico:


Again, I had two photos, this time 3x3. Again I set them on top of layers of patterned paper, but this time I added some Project Life cards to journal on. Here's some details:


I focused most of my embellishing on dimension and texture, allowing the background paper and PL cards to be the flat elements of my embellishing. The dimension came from the wood veneer and the label stickers on dimensional adhesive, and the texture came mostly from stitching and gems.


The rub-on words as a part of the border was a last minute addition. I like embellishing with words, in case you couldn't tell.

Thank you for checking out my work with Simple Scrapper! I hope I gave you some ideas for how to put together your embellishments into interesting layers to add some interesting depth to a two-photo page.

No comments: