Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Using up scrapbooking products

Hello! School has started again here in Minnesota. It was busy here as I started teaching again and my boys started their last week of elementary school. Now that things are getting back into a rhythm, I thought I'd share some pages circulating around an idea I had: using up products you have on hand.

I got a kit a while back that I didn't really care for. I'd bought it, though, so I had to use it. I sometimes feel the same way about older products that I one loved but now...not so much. Here's a few ideas I had for making pages I like with products I don't like as much.

1. Use B sides of paper. They are less dramatic than the main side and are more versatile.


2. Use smaller bits of paper. If the paper has a dramatic pattern, cut it apart and use it in smaller doses.


3. Supplement with stash. Use bits of stash to liven up the products you're not as keen on. Here I supplemented with some Amy Tangerine die cuts, a flair, and a Crate transparency frame.


4. Use the dramatic patterns in different ways. I can explain this hint best with the following page. The pencil paper speaks of school, but I used it for music lessons, certainly a type of school. In addition, once I put the layout together, I realized the space in between the pencils would make a great spot for journaling. (Ignore the place in the journaling where I whited out a spelling error and forgot to correct it. Grr. Arggh.)


5. Look for similar products to use together. I did this with this next page. I cut down the big geometric paper in a circle, then noticed that the colors in it matched the colors on a project life card and some transparent circle stickers. And so the page came together.


Thank you for checking out my pages! So tell me: how do you use up products that you are not as excited about using?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Great pages, Jen. I hope you have a great year this year at school.

Are you ready for this winter?! I am not. I hope they are wrong, though with our lows the next few days in the 30's, I am thinking they probably aren't.